THE TRANSFAGDYKE ASSEMBLY, IN THE FRAMEWORK OF THE OCTOBER TRANS AND THE GLOBAL CAMPAIGN STP – STOP TRANS PATHOLOGISATION, CALLS FOR A POSSIBLE INDEFINITE GLOBAL GENDER STRIKE DURING THE TRANS OCTOBER
Binary gender identities (man and woman) are historic domination tools situated at the foundations of the economic and power systems that articulate contemporary capitalism. These identities, far from being universal, are arbitrary, and imposed upon each person by the medical-legal establishment with the goal of inscribing us in a production model based on the nuclear heterosexual family.
Binary gender identities are assigned to each new born person through the categories of biological sex (female and male), which imply a reductionism of sexuality to genitals and of these to functional heterosexual reproduction. But sexuality is not reduced to genitals or to reproduction, so… Why do we keep using these distinctions unless for the sake of class differentiations?
Intersexual people, who are born with genitals not fully identifiable within the binary male-female framework, are usually operated without their consent, with the goal of inscribing them in the binary domination system. Meanwhile, transsexualism and transvestism are considered an illness in the official medical manuals. We therefore claim de depathologisation of transsexualism and the elimination of all compulsory protocols of binary normalization of bodies, while we defend the right for gender reassignation claimed by many transsexual people.
Also there are transgender people who don’t feel identified as neither woman nor man, there are those who demand a neutral gender, those who speak about genders in transition o about trajectories of gender, those who invent other genders and those who deny gender altogether.
Any person may legitimately reject the binary gender identity that has been imposed upon us all arbitrarily for the sake of assimilating us in the global system of domination. This is not only a legitimate individual choice, but also a solidary politics with regard to transgender, transsexual and intersexual people and the systemic and daily violence that both the medical-legal system and society exercise over them, and upon all those who don’t conform to the sexual norm. This violence affects all persons in different manners, since we are all subject to these norms.
For this purpose we call for a global GENDER STRIKE during the Trans October, with possible indefinite continuation, in which any person, from any age, class, race or whichever other kind, anywhere in the world, may reject the identity of man or woman that has been imposed over hir.
How do you make a Gender Strike?
- By publicly expressing the rejection and disidentification with either female or male identities, and identifying oneself as de-gener@te.
- By refusing to fill in print or on-line forms, official or of any other kind, in which binary gender identification is compulsory and presenting official complaints to the corresponding entity claiming the correction of the form so that it includes the option not to be identified as neither male nor female.
- By questioning and subverting the gender roles and behaviours traditionally attached to the gender identity that one has assumed.
- By entering the toilets of the opposite gender to the one assigned in all places with binary gender distinctions; in solidarity with the violence that trans people suffer daily in toilets all over the world
- By claiming in all clothes shops for sizes and models that don’t correspond to binary gender distinctions.
- By putting claims in the local, national, European and international courts claiming for the right to not identify as neither male nor female, and for the erasure of gender identity from official documents.
Asamblea Transmaricabollo de Sol
Madrid, 29th September 2011